Final Major Project - Final Statement

I began this project with a single intention, to explore the ideas and concepts generated by the word ‘Puppet’. This desire came about after a reflective process in which I examined the reasons I enjoyed the projects of the year and came to a conclusion, I love the act of manipulating my creations. This is where the focus for this project began, and after over weeks of working I don’t think I’ve strayed from that concept.

When I began I wasn’t sure what my skills would allow me to create but I feel through experimentation I have definitely grown as an animator. ‘Burlap’, was a step forward in my progression, the main reason I did it was to see if I could create an animation in a short amount of time. Animating it in a couple of days is something I am proud of, though I know it’s nothing special, it felt great to set myself a goal.

While creating the final piece I wanted the arms of my model to be fully manipulable, as if they were pieces of flexible wire, but due to lacking in skill I was unable to pull it off. If I’d had time I would have researched how other animators would do such a thing.

During the project I had meetings with my tutor, John, to help keep my work ‘on track’ and he called over a few of the animators in the group to have a look and they seemed to be impressed, for someone who has had problems with self-esteem this act was a huge boost in confidence that kept me moving through some of the slower parts of the project. A large part of my final piece changed when a friend suggested that I made my model ice skate instead of perform ballet.

I should have spent a little more time looking at some artists in detail, but I suppose I just prefer to get an overview of things instead of delving too deep. This is why I prefer to start a project by making a simple moodboard.

I did however take a look at the Brothers Quay. I spent a lot of time watching ‘Street of Crocodiles’. The use of audio amazes me and was the reason I desired so strongly for the audio and animation in my piece to ‘match’.

I can’t wait to continue animating in my spare time and I’m really looking forward to the next few years.This project has proven to me that I without a doubt a good animator. I never would have said that a year ago. I went through each week at my own pace yet never feeling like I hadn’t done enough. I think this is when I work best.

As for the future one of the weeks in the project I dedicated to finding a way of getting across expression without having a ‘manipulable face’. This is what I want to do next, when it comes to 3D animation I’ve never even tried making human faces.

Comments